How can we improve Traffic Travis?

Refine the status 200 return code warning

Although for a specified web page it may be correct for TT to report that a 200 status code was not received in a specified time, it is I believe wrong to imply that a 200 status code was not received if in fact it is received after the threshold time (5 seconds).

If the 200 status code is received after 5 seconds then that is a performance issue that may need to be addressed; if the 200 status code is never received then that is likely to be a broken page - two different things.

At the very least I think the wording of the current waning should be modified to reflect that the 200 status code was not received in 5 seconds if that is in fact the threshold.

It would perhaps be more informative to provide a metric for the time taken to receive a 200 status code and have it then indicate if the response time is in the 'excellent', 'good', 'okay', 'poor' bracket - or if in fact a website failed to return a 200 status code at all, in which case it should report what status code it did return.

The problem with it having a 5 second limit is if a web page fails to load in that time then none of the other metrics (Title, H1, Description) are considered.

13 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Martin DayMartin Day shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Caral LockeCaral Locke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the comment that was previously posted. Plus being a novice, I spent more time trying to figure out what code 200 is and why other webmaster help tools showed no problem with it. Sorry we could not do it in 5 seconds. Don't know how to fix that either. Getting so complicated that it is not worth the time and energy to devote to it. If TT makes it this hard, why use it. I am searching for some helpful help, not an easter egg hunt to correct non-issues.

• CArlton PrescottCArlton Prescott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, and cannot see why this has not been implemented, or at least increase the threshold, many of us have shared servers with unpredictable loads and delays in serving pages. Stopping the whole process on this error really renders Traffic Travis useless , as the SEO engineer cannot see any suggested changes required.

Feedback and Knowledge Base